Harper’s War Stories and Wargames
Welcome from J. Kevin Smith
Y You have landed at the Harper’s War Stories and Wargames website, either intentionally or through fortunate random searching. We welcome you to visit with us for a while to explore America’s past as seen through the eyes, novels, and short stories of our authors.
To go directly to the Harper’s Wargames store, click here.
Harper’s War Stories is a community of authors dedicated to revealing the past through the lives of the ordinary people of the times. We follow the guidelines of the Historical Novel Society in defining the historical period as not later than fifty years before the present. While there are a large number of excellent websites dedicated to exploring or preserving North American history as a series of linked, historical occurrences, our authors seek to make the subject more vivid to the lay reader through historical fiction in the form of novels, novellas, and short stories. Perhaps through these stories, readers will come to a better understanding of what we, the populations of the three countries of North America, have been through and use this greater understanding to inform our collective futures.
Historical fiction provides an ideal medium for illuminating the lives of the people of the past. But where many authors choose to focus their effort on major players, like Washington, Lee, Lincoln, or Houston, our works will concentrate more on the vast majority of the people in the past who remain mostly unknown. Major actors of the period will appear, but usually they act as part of the environment for our characters while we tell the stories of how the great mass of people made their way within the environment resulting from the actions of the ‘great men of the age’.
Our efforts begin with the works of my personal doppleganger, Sean K. Gabhann. Sean’s first work is the Shiloh Trilogy. Set in the American Civil War, the Trilogy tells the story of how the men of Company B, First Iowa Volunteer Mounted Infantry coalesce into a band-of-brothers in time to face their worst ordeal to date on the Shiloh battlefield in April 1862. Supporting characters expand the story to show the civilian population coping with the war during the same time period.
Latest News (as of March 1st, 2016)
Readers and writers are invited to join the conversation with John Kevin, Sean, and others at the Facebook page for Writers and Readers of Historical Fiction Set in the United States.
John Kevin Smith:
* Uploaded the results of my family genealogy project as a pedigree chart wherein I trace my family roots back to the original immigrants to North America from Ireland, England, and Germany. Found a major surprise when tracing the female side of the family tree. Turns out that I am descended from a number of founding mothers from both the Massachusetts Colony and the Virginia Colony. Who knew? This work is for private use within the family and is password protected.
* We are pleased to announce the start-up of my next Great Adventure. At the age of 66, I have created a small business entity in my second great passion. Harper’s Wargames has become a retailer of historical miniatures. I am hoping to establish a new business model which will be a hybrid between in-store retail and (e)mail-order direct sales for these products. We accept orders via (e)mail and hand-deliver the products to our customers in the San Diego region. I picture this as a market niche between the other two modes of business where we will fulfill orders which are beyond the scope of what local brick-and-mortar stores can carry, while improving the delivery time and eliminating the shipping cost associated with (e)mail ordering. And we offer a 25% discount to boot! Click on the navigation button to visit our on-line store.
* We have reorganized the pages in this website to make it easier to find things and to eliminate pages which were no longer needed or of only small interest to the general public.
Sean Kevin Gabhann:
* The pamphlet: Jamie Harper at the battles for Forts Heiman and Henry remains available for download from this site and for order through Harper’s Wargames.
* Book One of the Shiloh Trilogy: Harper’s Donelson was published on September 26, 2015 by Sundown Press. Harper’s Donelson is now available from Amazon and through the Harper’s Wargames on-line store.
* The manuscript for Book Two of the Shiloh Trilogy: Harper’s Rescue is complete. It will be sent to the publisher in March 2016 for approval. If acceptable to the publisher, it should become available sometime in 2016.
* Have begun the organization and historical research needed to draft Book Three of the Shiloh Trilogy: Harper’s Shiloh. This volume covers the adventures of Jamie Harper and his crew in the days before the great battle and during the battle itself. Who lives? Who dies? I do not know yet.
We remain accessible to new authors of historical fiction who might wish to join the colective. If you are an author who specializes in the history of the three countries of North America and whose work focuses on illuminating the lives of our predecessors through character- or plot-based historical fiction, drop me a comment or direct mail at: email@example.com.
JKS, General Manager